Fridays are fun around the Bethell house. We buy the boys doughnuts every Friday, and what a treat! Cooper wakes up WIRED just knowing it is Friday and Friday means doughnuts! His volume level is set somewhere around 10 (on a scale of 1 to 10) and he has a song in his heart.
Friday mornings are unique for another reason, too. Cooper has B.U.M. kids from 8:30 to 11:30, so I have to have the boys and myself ready to leave the house by 8:20 or so. (At this point, I want to pause and acknowledge the working moms out there who have to do this EVERY day. You are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. There's no other way to say it. I don't know how you do it.) Most days, I just ask the boys to get themselves dressed by Sesame Street at 9:00, so we have to hurry to be ready by 8:20. This morning, it looked something like this:
Me: Miles do you need to go potty?
Miles: Yes. Be bean. (Jelly Bean...he gets one when he sits on the potty.)
Me: Okay! Let's go! Run and stick Miles on the potty. Wait for 3 minutes while he decides what color of jelly bean he wants. Run back to Cooper's room.
Me: Coop, here are your clothes. Please get dressed.
Cooper: Mom, I need help. Will you help me?
Miles: MOMMY!
Me: Run to check on Miles. Are you all done going potty?
Miles: Des. (Yes.)
Me: Okay - let's get you down. Remove Miles from the potty.
Cooper: Mom I need HELP!
Me: Run to help Cooper, and grab a diaper while I'm at it.
Miles: MOMMY!
Me: Cooper - you're going to have to get dressed. Run to check on Miles in the bathroom.
Miles: Be bean. (Jelly bean.)
Me: You want to sit on the potty again? Do you need to go potty again? Stick Miles back on the potty. Wait while he selects his color of jelly bean.
Cooper: MOMMY!
Me: Run to Cooper's room.
Miles: MOMMY!
Me: Run to the bathroom.
Repeat.
So by 8:30, I had all of us dressed, Cooper at B.U.M. kids, and I was exhausted. But on Fridays, when Miles and I have time to ourselves, we clean the house together. He LOVES to spray the Windex on the glass. If I try to touch the bottle, he jerks it away from me and gives me a passionate, "I DO!" Okay, okay. You spray the Windex. We clean glass and dust together. Then he watches a little Sesame Street while I clean the bathrooms and kitchen. That's usually all I get done before I have a very special hour of time with Ms. Amy, a college student I meet with weekly. She is so amazing - I love seeing how mature she is and how much the Lord has already taught her. I have much to learn from that girl!
After Amy left today, Miles and I had only a short time together before we went to pick up Cooper. Then we flew through lunch and it was time to head to Ms. Lisa's house. I picked the boys up at 5:00 and we headed home for dinner.
The sweetest moment of all for me today was after dinner. Cooper and I swept the floors and vacuumed so that we could relax together and watch a movie. We had popcorn with M&M's and watched WallE together. Cooper sat on my lap and Miles snuggled right next to me. It was such a sweet moment. This is what being a Mommy is all about!
2 comments:
i love reading your stories about the boys! I can't wait to have stories of my own like that!
Well you're pretty amazing yourself -- and I might add -- if I lived with you, I'd be wired about donuts too. A maple long john will get me every time. In fact, Justin might have better luck getting me out of bed in the mornings if he tried this approach!
Post a Comment