For my 30th birthday, I invited my family and friends to participate in one of the races at the KC Marathon. Several friends and family members responded and participated! It was such an amazing blessing to spend the weekend participating and enjoying something that is such an important part of my life. Here are a few photos:
Nate and my mom were so gracious to take care of Cooper, Miles, Jackson, and Blake during the race. (THANK YOU, Nate and Mom!)
Matt and Jenn ran the 5K together, and from what I understand, crossed the finish line holding hands. So cool. This was the first race for both of them. (I can't imagine running my first race with 10,998 other people...I think I would have been tempted to decline!) My sister might even like running a little bit now!! And I think Matt (and maybe Jenn?) is going to do the half next year. I love seeing them love this thing that I love so much! I know what I'm going to be doing with my sister over the holidays to have some girl time.
My Dad ran the half marathon. I can't even begin to describe the joy I felt when I saw him in the back of the crowd coming towards the finish line. (Hanna got to experience it a little bit because she was standing beside me when I started screaming, "There he is! My dad is coming! I see my dad coming!") He had a goal for a running time and he met it. I am so thankful for him! Beth, my dad's wife, walked/ran the 5K, and I think this race has made her want to be a runner! She really enjoyed it!
Nate's mom and sister, Anne and Hanna, get the prize for the longest drive to participate. They came up from Enid, OK, for race weekend. Hanna ran the 5K, and Anne helped corral the kiddos. I am so blessed they made the treck up to KC to participate with me! Hanna - I'm looking forward to the Turkey Trot!
My friend, Sarita, and I ran together. I am so thankful for her. From about mile 9 on, I was really fighting the urge to urp. She encouraged me and sang to me, and I kept on running! She has been my faithful running parter for somewhere around 6 years - this race was our fourth half marathon.
Clint and Jessica Wooderson ran the race together. Clint is not a runner, but decided to train for this event because he didn't just want to be on the sidelines. That's impressive. Jessica is a great friend - another faithful workout partner. She finished the race despite some intense knee pain. She overcame so much! Jessica also was responsible for designing and ordering the amazing green t-shirts!
Ashley Dinwiddie and Rachel Tennison decided to take my challenge and run the half. Rachel ran hospital hill earlier this year, not many weeks after having her second baby. Ashley had never run a half-marthon before. They both rocked it! Rachel and my dad saw each other a couple of times during the race - that's a fun story we'll remember. Ashley is loving running, and is thinking about another half in November in Tulsa.
Holly Shuler ran the half. I'm not sure if this was her first race or not, but she did awesome! She ran the thing alone. I can't imagine running alone for 2ish hours. She recently posted on facebook: New life goal: run another half marathon and then a full marathon sometime in the next 3 years. Who is with me?
Melanie Farris had it on her bucket list to run a half-marathon. Even though she found out recently that she is pregnant, she completed the race! Her dad did it with her, and even though it was a challenge, she finished it! Way to go, Melanie!
Tim and Jana Cossins ran the 5K, and it was there first race ever, too! They finished together and have another race coming up soon. They are both working so hard to be healthier - so cool!
I am so thankful for all my friends who participated in the weekend. It was an amazing way to celebrate 30. Thank you, Lord, for my family and friends!
1 comment:
Pretty sure this made me cry even though you told me all about it already. I'm so grateful that you are surrounded by friends and family who love you!
Post a Comment