Monday, December 23, 2013

December 23

December 23rd is a big day for me.  This year marks the five year anniversary of the day I received a life-changing call from Dr. Harris.  I knew what the news could be, but somehow that didn't prepare me for what the news was.  "The results of your MRI were consistent with that of someone who has Multiple Sclerosis."  I didn't get the official diagnosis until January, but the writing was on the wall on that day in December.

I am so thankful for the way God has protected me over the past five years!  While my attitude has changed, the progress of the disease has been minimal.  Tomorrow may come with new challenges, but I will yet praise Him.

Our Encounter Band leads us in many fantastic songs.  I have learned to worship in a deeper way through their leadership.  One of the songs they use to help us worship is a Hillsong song called You Hold Me Now.  The lyrics of that song became so overwhelmingly real to me one recent Sunday as I realized how sweet heaven will be for me after facing physical ailments while on earth.  While they have so far paled in comparison to what many people face, I have the gift of longing for the day I will be in the new Jerusalem with God and with no crying or pain.  I would not be able to understand the goodness of this gift without a little pain on earth.  In that moment I became so very thankful that I would be able to experience heaven in a more full way due to my lack.


I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” (Revelation 21:2-4 NIV)

No comments: