While school is officially out for the summer, Carey and the boys have spent a lot of time on reading and completing various projects over the summer. It's been so fun to see the boys learn and become great readers. Cooper is plowing through big books and his vocabulary is amazing. That kid is going to be dangerous. In addition to an incentive plan Carey created for the boys to keep them reading, we also joined the Springfield reading program that has some pretty sweet 'prizes' if kids read a certain number of books, etc. A few weeks ago both boys hit the primary milestone in the program and received their 'prize sheet' from the library. I was seriously impressed when I saw the list of things local businesses have offered as a part of the punch list of rewards. Free cupcakes, ice cream, discounts on Incredible Pizza, Discovery Center, and so on. It was an impressive list. So, to celebrate, we spent a Saturday cashing in on as many as we could! Chik-fil-a for a free lunch, tickets to Springfield Discovery Center, Andy's for free concretes, played at the Jordan Valley Park (always free) and then to the Cardinals game - you guessed it - free! We don't normally spend a Saturday like this so it was a ton of fun. And, with the boys being more interested in baseball, it was great to have them see a 'real' game. As long as we were eating, Miles enjoyed it. Cooper couldn't get enough of the game, statistics, etc. We can't wait to go back. Here is Cooper giving me the 'dad, don't take my picture' look.
All is well on the house front with an eminent move in date - Aug 3. Typing that seems crazy as it's been a little while in the making and it's hard to believe it's almost here! As we come into the home stretch, we've been reminded of how thankful we are for having someone help us build. Our GC has been awesome and is the primary reason this project has been fun. We've heard so many times that building a house has been a near marriage-ending experience and we've done great! The next two weeks will be busy as we pack and watch the finishing touches come to life on the inside and out. This week the trim / cabinets are finished, back deck / stairs are completed, painting is finished, appliances are installed, counters will be cut and finished, basement floor finished, lights installed, and tile work in two of the bathrooms and around the fireplace. And that's just the big stuff. =)
As we prepare for the move, Carey has also been preparing for the coming school year. We're all looking forward to school beginning and the boys are pumped. Miles has told me several times that he's excited to have his mom as his teacher this year. Because they are so different, I know teaching both Cooper and Miles will be an extra challenge. But, Carey is such a gifted teacher, I know I will get to see our boys flourish in school again this year. As they get older, I continue to be amazed by Cooper and Miles and how they are developing into young men.
Life for me is unchanged. Biking has been an afterthought the last few months as work has been very heavy, but I can see a coming end. I've practically been living in Boston for the last several months. And, while it's a great city to work in, I'm looking forward to some time away. I have over 10 weeks of vacation and I have plans to use some in the very near future!
A few pics.
Jackson and Blake came to visit for the week. Meal times were like an assembly line!
Current view of the house. Getting closer.
NY Pizza. One slice, two plates.
Boston 'home'.
No comments:
Post a Comment