Wednesday, January 23, 2013

My 17lb travel bag

During the early part of my trip this week out of the country, I thought I forgot something and began to anxiously search my laptop bag. Once I found what I was looking for (passport), I began to realize how much stuff I have in my bag.

A list of the items:
My business cards
A bunch of business cards from other people I haven't filed
Stack of hotel notepads (from five different hotels)
7 pens
Highlighter
China pen
Apple earbuds
Sure earbuds
Bose headphones
Bottle of mouthwash
Empty tin of Altoids (peppermint)
2 Black 'n Red notebooks
2 'Manila' folders
Extended life battery for mobile devices
Mifi device
Mini power strip
WSJ
Q-tips
13 tea bags
Bottle of vodka (put in as a joke with M. Robinson one day and evidently it made its way to the bottom of the bag, i forgot, and TSA has never noticed...)
Leather binder with membership / travel cards
3 USB 'thumb' drives
Security token device
5 napkins
Sewing kit (that's right, a sewing kit)
2 shirt buttons
Small leather-bound notebook for recording things I encounter on the road
Plastic collar stays
Pair of cufflinks
Passport
2 ID badges
New set of luggage tags / thank you cards from AA
Blood transfusion kit...oh, wait, that's just in Armstrong's travel bag
Individually wrapped sanitary wipes
Car keys
iPad cleaning cloth
Several cards / notes from Carey (always a surprise and highlight of trips when I find them tucked away)
Medicine bag containing a little bit of everything
Kindle Paperwhite
Stack of US Custom cards
Laptop privacy screen
Small laptop
Power cables for everything, including devices I no longer own

Everything in the bag has made it in for a reason and I've been surprised how often I use some of the items in the list. So, despite lugging around a crazy-heavy bag, everything stays!


No comments: