Monday, January 14, 2013

Catching up

It seems like just yesterday that I was writing an entry about writing more entries. But alas, this is the first since and it's been months! It certainly hasn't been because there isn't anything to write about. We've been crazy busy over the last few months. I will attempt to do a quick catch up.

In September, Carey and I saw a flood of travel coming up. Some of it for fun, but most for work. So, we decided that we'd put on our waders and get ready for the next month or so. However, unbelievable it is, we still have them on and they are becoming quite unfashionable! I've been all over North America for work this year, but in past months spending a lot of extra focus time in Detroit, New York, Chicago, Toronto, and Hartford. While I've been traveling to some of these for a number of years off and on, the additional time lately has enabled me to see a bit more of the cities, which has been fun. Except for Detroit. As Carey noted in a previous entry, she came with me on several trips this year and in December, to New York, which was a highlight for me. All in all, I traveled to more than 80 different cities this year and its been nuts (with a little bit of fun mixed in).

Carey has been a rockstar in managing all things kids, home, and school. While school is a challenge at times, it has been rewarding to spend extra time with the boys and be apart of what they learn every day. And, when I haven't been on the road, it's been great for me also as km able to work from home and get to have extra time around them. It would be wild to send them off early morning and not see them again until late afternoon. I'm very grateful for the sacrifice Carey has made to do this for our family, and most of all, our boys. I know it isn't glamorous at all.

Christmas was a blast this year with the family. We spent some time in Topeka with Carey's side of the family and then came back to Bolivar for the full week of Christmas. I had trouble getting home the week before Christmas, so once I made it, I took a little over a week of 'real' vacation and it was incredible. The New Year brought quite a shock to the system, and email inbox, and it's taken a bit to get adjusted.

Despite all the work and travel, we've been able to have some great family time and very memorable moments! Looking forward to the rest of 2013 already.

Here are some various pics from the last few weeks including a New Years Day ride (tradition lasting several years with the guys), Miles collecting and savoring the flavor of icicles in his PJs, a lady who yelled at me at the airport, Fiona lounging during story time, Carey and I heading out on a date (after my 16 hour drive from Chicago!), beer / cayenne pepper peanut brittle - a fun concoction I created, and a Miami Heat game - one of several 'work' things I've incorporated into the schedule this year.













No comments: