Sunday, March 15, 2009

Beware the Ides of March!

It was a big day in the Bethell house! Given the tradition of the infamous Ides of March, I had another birthday - the 28th time I've been around for the anniversary of the assassination of Julius Caesar. Other historical happenings on this day include: 1776 - South Carolina being the first colony to declare independence from Great Britain, 1916 - President Wilson sends 12,000 troops to pursue Poncho Villa, 1985 - the first Internet domain name is registered and the birthdays of President Andrew Jackson and Mike Love.

We had a casual Sunday morning - the boys and I made Blueberry pancakes for breakfast and Carey made two coffee cakes for FBC's The Encounter. The afternoon was spent working in the yard, burning leaves and preparing the garden for spring planting. This year we'll have blackberries, strawberries, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, yellow squash, and a few others. In the midst of the yard work, we took two fun breaks. The first is pretty well summed up in the following picture - Carey did not like the fact that I love to play with these guys...













The second break was much more fun. We decided, based on viewing a few pictures of Miles, that he was in desperate need of a hair cut. He had a number of 'clumps' of long hair reaching to his eyes and over his ears. Despite Carey's desire to follow tradition, we decided it was time Miles had a trim...at the ripe old age of 9.5 months. Here are a couple pics.
Before:












After:

2 comments:

Matt and Jenn said...

PRECIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have the cutest nephews!!

Anonymous said...

What a doll! The cut looks good. I gave a similar treatment to Justin's last week -- but he didn't have near as much to start with, the effect was less dramatic :)