Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Man Weekend

On Friday afternoon, Carey left for a weekend trip with some girlfriends to Branson. Besides the excitement for her to have a break, I was looking forward to some time with the boys. So, here is a brief summary of our first real 'man' weekend.

Like any man weekend, it centered around food. We went to the boy's favorite place Friday night (El Rodeo) and that was followed with some chocolate custard at 3G's. The boys requested that we drive around and so we did! It was a really pretty evening and we had a great time. Bedtime was uneventful and by 8:30PM I had the evening to myself. After a little work, a little cleaning, and some veg time in front of the TV I called it a night.

Saturday proved to be a big day! We all slept in (which was really great and lots of fun!!) but then got right to business. We spent the morning at the Farmers Market, C&C (a favorite farm supply store), Quarrels Supply to pick up the remaining accessories for the Big Green Egg, and packed for our adventure in Springfield! While we were at Quarrels Supply (a general hardware store that has electrical, plumbing, and farm supplies), Cooper tells me he has to go to the bathroom. We were near the plumbing hardware section where they have lots of toilets on display. I told Cooper we'd have to go find the bathroom as I wasn't sure where it was. He looks at me, looks at the line of toilets on display, looks back at me and says 'Dad. There are plenty of toilets right there that I can use.' I then had to explain that those were not hooked up (let alone the fact that they were not in private!). For the rest of the day, Cooper would double check to ensure toilets in the restrooms were hooked up. How fun to experience these kind of things with my babies!

In Springfield, we picked up lunch at McDonalds, a toy storage box at Lowes, and a few things at Outdoor Home. When we came home, Miles took a nap and Cooper helped me work on a table for the Egg and assemble the storage box. We cooked our first pizza on the Egg and it was AWESOME. I think Cooper is just about as excited to cook things on the Egg as I am! I'm sure some of it has to do with the fact that the Egg is green...just like John Deere of course. After pizza and lots of playing in the toy box, we all called it a night. Besides waking up in the middle of the night to find Miles stuck under his bed (don't ask me how he got there), it was pretty uneventful.

This morning, keeping with the food topic, I got up early and put on a beef brisket. I'm pumped about seeing how it turns out!! With the temps cooling off in the morning, it was a fantastic way to start the day. What could be better than a cool morning, watching the sun come up in a rocking chair, and the smell of smoked meat?!

Here is a picture of the Egg in action!

1 comment:

mamabeth said...

What a great "man" weekend! :)
Nate, you did a great job! We have talked about getting a "Green Egg"! Let us know how you like it after you use it a few more times...is it worth the cost? :)
Blessed by your family and your faith. Hope Carey had a great time!