Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Freak Out!

The boys and I went to Quarrels Supply yesterday to pick up a paint sample. When I told them we were going, Cooper ran, got in the van, and buckled himself in. This is not yet a skill that I expect him to accomplish on his own, but I was very appreciative! (As an aside, I am trying to figure out what responsibilities I can delegate to my children so they can help me more!)

After we were finished, we were loading up in the van. I said, "Cooper, hop up in your chair and buckle yourself in." He got in his chair, and he said, "Oh, Mom I can't do it! My arms won't reach!" After several times back and forth, I said, "Cooper, I'll wait for you to buckle yourself in. If you need help while you're doing it, I would be glad to help you! But I know this is something you can do." And we waited. Man he's a stubborn guy. I wonder where he learned that? So as we sat there, I started giving myself some positive self talk, "It's okay, Carey. We don't have anywhere to be. Wait it out. He can do this. It's okay." After waiting longer, I turned around and said (with some increased intensity), "Cooper - buckle yourself in!" He looked at me and said, "Mom - did you just freak out instead of disciplining me?" And without missing a beat, "Deep breaths, Mom. Deep breaths." Guess who buckled the seat? I gave in...he out-waited me. What a booger.

No comments: