Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The past few months

As you've all heard, most people who've been around say life happens fast. As I write, it feels like it should be March, but it's nearing June. So much has happened in the last few months. We've captured some things in prior entries, but here are some recent highlights and short stories in no particular order.

Miles can stand up by himself, not holding on to anything. He doesn’t last long, but his balance is coming.

When Cooper goes to the bathroom, he asks us for privacy. Sometimes, when we tell him we need to go to the restroom, he says "Okay dad, I'll take you. But dad, be careful: make sure all your potty goes in the toilet. Call out for me if you need me. I'll give you some privacy." He must have heard that somewhere. Keeping with the bathroom-like topic, Cooper tooted the other day and when Carey said, "Cooper, was that you?" He responded by saying, no, it was dad.

Given the extended weekend and nice weather on Friday night, Cooper and I went camping - in the back yard. However, we only made it until around 10pm.

Lately, Cooper has been running around the house saying 'Shoot the enemies! Shoot the enemies!' The first time we heard this Carey and I were quite surprised. So, I asked where he learned about shooting. He gave me a look like I was asking the dumbest question ever and said - 'Shooting School'. For the record, our two-year-old son has never been to Shooting School.

Cooper has been helping me in the garden this spring. We've spent much time planting and weeding. Our radishes and strawberries (June-bearing) will be the first fruits. As we were finishing up one night, Cooper was looking at some of the smaller, green strawberries. He said "Hi sweet little baby strawberries." I think he would have just snuggled them right up if I would have let him.

About a month or so ago, I assembled a new swing set for the boys. I say assembled, but I think it took me about 24 hours of actual work effort. I’m not sure I fully understood the full impact of ‘some assembly required’. Regardless, it’s done. However, we had a land-based hurricane come through and had winds over 100 miles per hour. We didn’t have much damage, but our swing set was torn apart in the backyard. Carey tried to talk me into ordering replacement parts, but I’d pretend I’m handy and replace the broken pieces on my own. About two weeks, the boys have their swing set back.

Miles sees Carey and says ‘Mama’. Very cute…unless he’s yelling it.

Carey and I need a long weekend away, so we are planning a trip, sans kids, in Banff, Canada. Good friends of ours in Bolivar have been there and many people I work with in Canada love to visit Banff, so it’s great to learn about a new mountain destination (thanks Dinwiddees!).

In addition to the meds / injections Carey is taking for the MS diagnosis, we started a new diet to aide in treatment. The diet is incredibly restrictive – no milk, wheat, yeast, sugar, caffeine, very limited fruits/nuts, no red meat, etc. We’ve been at it for a few months and hate it. =)

Miles turns one year old Thursday. Son, I can’t believe how fast the time has gone!

With the Spring weather (or something…), Cooper has decided to go to bed late and get up around 6AM. He quietly walks, three babies, a blanket, and a few cars / trains in hand and says ‘Dad, I’m a awake!’ One morning, we woke up and thought we heard him, but couldn’t see him. It turns out he was in on the floor, laying on the pillow shams. Such a cute kid.

Travel – the second quarter has turned out to be a busy one. I’ve been in LA, Chicago, Toronto, Portland, Dallas, and several other cities (and many of them more than once) in the past few weeks. While I don’t mind the travel, it’s being away from Carey and the boys that make it hard.

While there are moments when Cooper gets frustrated with Miles (especially since Miles is nearly stronger and can take things away…), he is so tender towards his little brother. He is constantly looking out for him, sharing his snacks, cars, tells us when miles is getting in to trouble, etc. If Miles is crying, it’s not uncommon to hear Cooper say ‘It’s okay baby Miles, don’t cry’.

No comments: